Yorkshire Regiment War Graves, -
East Ham (St. Mary Magdalene) Churchyard
East Ham (St. Mary Magdalene) Churchyard contains 60 burials from both World Wars, - 47 from the First World War and 13 from the Second.
The churchyard is of nearly 10 acres (one of the largest churchyards in Europe
), and which is now managed as a nature reserve by the London Borough of Newham.
The war graves are no longer maintained, however.
A Pastoral Scheme leased the churchyard to the London Borough of Newham for a period of 125 years. The lease includes a covenant that the local authority will not remove or disturb, or permit the removal or disturbance of, any war grave tombstone, monument or memorial in the churchyard. All the existing headstones remain in situ but the graves are not maintained. The official point of commemoration is the "alternative commemoration" memorial erected in 1997 near the High Street South boundary wall but a CWGC Inspector keeps an eye to ensure that the actual graves remain undisturbed.
One soldier who served with the Yorkshire Regiment is buried in this cemetery.
| Corporal Frederick Henry Ward.
3rd Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment. Son of Frederick and Amelia Ward; husband of Matilda J. Ward, of 43, Lower Green, Rusthall, Tunbridge Wells. Served in the South African Campaign. Died at home 10 January 1918. Aged 35.
Born Hackney (London), Enlisted London, Resided East Ham.
Photo : Andy Baker of Find a Grave website