Yorkshire Regiment War Graves, -
Ipswich Old Cemetery
The Ipswich municipal cemetery was opened in 1855, designed by a Robert Davidson,
the architects being Cooper and Peck. Notcutts of Woodbridge were responsible
for the extension planting in 1901. In 1901 members of the Board committee
visited the renowned plant nursery Notcutts of Woodbridge to select trees
for planting the perimeter of the area. An extension was made to the east
and to the north, at which time the area to the south became known as 'Old
Much of the planting was carried out well in advance of New Cemetery opening in 1921.
The Ipswich Old and New Cemeteries are located off the main A1214 Cochester Road at Cemetery Lane. See the map on the Ipswich Council website.
There are 364 graves from both World Wars, - 265 burials from the First World War and 99 from the Second.
Two soldiers of the Yorkshire Regiment are buried in this cemetery.
Private Joseph Benford, TR/5/36861. 15th Battalion Yorkshire Regiment,
attached to 261st Battalion Training Reserve. Son of Thomas and Lucy Benford,
of Main Rd., Allestree, Derby. Died at home 24 October 1917. Aged 19.
Born Allestree, Enlisted Derby.
"THY WILL BE DONE"
Photo by permission of "julia&keld".
Private John Charles Farman. 33370. 6th Battalion the
Yorkshire Regiment, formerly 4379 Suffolk Regt. Son of John Anthony and M
Farman of 63 Stoke Street, Ipswich, Suffolk. Killed 22 October 1917.
Born Ipswich, Enlisted Bury St. Edmunds, Resided Ipswich.
Photo by permission of Andy Baker.
-----------------> Return to top of the page