Captain Michael Day MAUDE
Remembrance - The Yorkshire Regiment, First World War
Captain Michael Day MAUDE
Close window to return to main page
Captain Michael Day MAUDE

Select the thumbnail image above for a photo of 2nd Battalion Officers in 1914 which includes Captain Maude and which opens in a new window.

Captain Michael Day MAUDE

Son of Lt. Col. W. W. Maude, of The Fleets, Rylstone. (younger brother of Captain Gerald William Edward Maude of the 1st Battn. Yorkshire Regt., - died India 5 November 1919).
Died of wounds, aged 27, on 14 October 1917.
Buried in Rylstone (St. Peter) Churchyard.

John Sly (<>) has researched the career of Captain Maude in connection with his medals. John has written a short biography of Captain Maude and this may be read below.

Army Medal Office rolls confirm the award of the 1914 Star, but not the Bar, despite giving his date of disembarkation as 5 October 1914.
His career is recorded by Ferrar (who recorded a Bar to the 1914 Star).
He was born 29 September 1890 at The Fleets, Rylstone, Skipton, the son of Lieut-Colonel William Wade Maude, a farmer, and his wife Beatrice Lucy Letitia Geraldine (née Day).
He was commissioned Second Lieutenant in 3/Yorkshire Regiment 7 June 1913, Lieutenant 17 May 1914, Captain 1 February 1915.

He fought at the First Battle of Ypres with 2/Yorkshire Regiment. A letter published in the Green Howards Gazette for December 1914 recorded: ‘Early in the morning of the 31st [October], however, what was left of A Company...had to go into trenches to fill a gap between two regiments...Maude and about 50 more men came in that day, having been lost the previous evening.’

He was taken ill with ptomaine poisoning 8 November 1914, and this was referred to in the ‘2nd Battalion News’ dated 6 December 1914 and published in the Green Howards Gazette for January 1915: ‘Our stay in Bailleul had one effect on us which was rather disastrous. We all got poisoned by something or other, and Maude had to go to hospital, he was so bad. He
seemed to get worse there and had to be shipped off to England, but we hope to see him back soon.’

He was severely wounded in the thigh by shrapnel while commanding B Coy of the 9/Yorkshire Regiment on the Menin Road 20 September 1917.
He died in the Military Hospital, Western Heights, Dover, 14 October 1917. His address was given as Ellenthorpe, Bowbridge, Yorkshire. The cause of death was recorded as gunshot wound of thigh, acute septicaemia, and heart failure.

He was buried in the west part of St Peter’s Churchyard, Rylstone, 19 October. An obituary was published in The Times of the same day.

(Refs: WO 372
LG 1913 p 3994; 1814 p 5281; 1915 p 1958; 1917 p 226
WO 339/9030
Officers Of The Green Howards [Ferrar, 1920] p 312
General Register Office
GHG vol XXII pp 157 & 191; vol XXV p 77
The Green Howards In The Great War [Wylly] pp 33, 52, 76-7, 79, 82, 305-8
The Times 19 October 1917 p 9 col 4)

-----------------> Return to top of the page