Lieutenant Arthur Temple THORNE
Remembrance - The Yorkshire Regiment, First World War
Lieutenant Arthur Temple THORNE
Close window to return to main page
Lieutenant Arthur Temple THORNE

Select the thumbnail image above for a photo of the 2nd Battalion Officers in 1914 which opens in a new window.

Lieutenant Arthur Temple THORNE

Survived the War, but there are no details of him in the book "Officers of the Green Howards 1688 - 1931" by M L Ferrar.
Shown in the Green Howards Gazette database as having been wounded in October 1914.

John Sly (<>) has researched the career of Lieutenant Thorne in connection with his medals. John has written a short biography of Lieutenant Thorne, and this may be read below.

Army Medal Office rolls confirm his entitlement to the 1914 Star and Bar.

He was born 20 March 1889 at 19 Dafforne Road, Upper Tooting, the son of Leonard Temple Thorne, a professional chemist, and his wife Ada Theodosia (née Franklin).

He attended St Paul’s School, South Middlesex, while living at Denbeigh Gardens, Richmond, Surrey.
While taking an engineering course for a BSc degree at Armstrong College, Newcastle, he lived at 20 Woodbine Avenue, Gosforth.
He enlisted into the Durham University OTC 8 July 1909, having already served in the 6/Northumberland Fusiliers, and was promoted Corporal 28 October 1909, Sergeant 17 December, and Colour-Sergeant 9 March 1910. He undertook a course of instruction at Hythe Depot 23 April 1908, passing Certificate A 5 July 1909 and Certificate B 14 January 1910.

He was gazetted Second Lieutenant (on probation) in the 3/Yorkshire Regiment from Cadet Colour-Sergeant 23 July 1910. He was promoted Lieutenant 1 May 1912, and attended the presentation of new colours to the 3rd Battalion at Richmond, 26 June 1912.

He served with the 2/Yorkshire Regiment at the First Battle of Ypres, and was wounded in both legs and the right hand by shrapnel 29 October 1914. He was promoted Captain 1 February 1915, and from 17 May 1915 he was seconded for employment under the Admiralty.

He relinquished his commission 15 October 1921 because his work at the Neptune Works, Walker, Newcastle-on-Tyne, did not leave him enough time for training.

His death was recorded in Windsor, Berkshire, in December 1970.

He is included in a photograph of officers of the 2nd Battalion taken at Lyndhurst 24 September 1914, published in the Green Howards Gazette for November 1914.

-----------------> Return to top of the page